David Keith Lynch is an American filmmaker, painter, musician, singer, sound designer, photographer, and actor. He is best known for writing and directing films such as Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive, which are often regarded by critics as among the best films of their times, and for his television series Twin Peaks. These works led to him being labeled "the first popular Surrealist" by film critic Pauline Kael. A recipient of an Academy Honorary Award in 2019, he has received three Academy Award nominations for Best Director, and has won the César Award for Best Foreign Film twice, as well as the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival and a Golden Lion award for lifetime achievement at the Venice Film Festival. He has been described by The Guardian as "the most important director of this era", while AllMovie called him "the Renaissance man of modern American filmmaking".
|Born:||David Keith Lynch, January 20, 1946, Missoula, Montana, U.S.|
|Other names:||Judas Booth|
|Occupation:||Filmmaker, painter, musician, singer, sound designer, photographer, actor|
|Notable work:||Filmography, Discography, Bibliography|
|Partner(s):||Isabella Rossellini, (1986–1991)|
|Children:||4, including Jennifer|
|Twitter:||David Lynch's Twitter profile|
|Facebook:||David Lynch's Facebook profile|
|IMDb:||David Lynch's IMDb|
|Rotten Tomatoes:||David Lynch's Rotten Tomatoes|
|Bandcamp artist ID:||davidlynch|
About David Lynch
Experimental and challenging director known for his eerie dream sequences as seen in films including Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, The Elephant Man and Wild at Heart. He also created the murder mystery TV series Twin Peaks.
He moved all the time as a kid, but began his life in Montana. He studied painting at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, then went on to make his first film while attending the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.
He was chosen to direct the 1984 science fiction film Dune, an adaptation of the popular Frank Herbert novel. With an estimated budget of $40 million, it became his first foray into blockbuster filmmaking.
He married his first wife Peggy in 1967, followed by Mary Fisk in 1977, then Mary Sweeney in 2006, and Emily Stofle in 2009. He has four children, two daughters named Jennifer and Lula and two sons named Austin and Riley.
He frequently casts actor Kyle MacLachlan in his films, including Blue Velvet and Dune, as well as the lead character, Special Agent Dale Cooper, in Twin Peaks.
Information related to David Lynch
- David Lynch Category
- David Lynch's unrealized projects - The following is a list of unproduced David Lynch projects in roughly chronological order. During his long career, American film director David Lynch has worked on a number of projects which never progressed beyond the pre-production stage under his direction.
- Artists from Missoula, Montana
- George Washington University Corcoran School alumni
- Writers from Missoula, Montana
- Surrealist filmmakers
- Male actors from Montana
- American surrealist artists
- AFI Conservatory alumni
- American furniture designers
- Academy Honorary Award recipients
- European Film Awards winners (people)
- César Award winners
- American experimental musicians
- American experimental filmmakers
- Film directors from Los Angeles
- Transcendental Meditation practitioners
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts alumni
- American lyricists
- American comic strip cartoonists
- American rock musicians
- American music video directors
- Horror film directors
- English-language film directors
- Film directors from California