Jeremy Bernard Corbyn is a British politician who served as Leader of the Labour Party and Leader of the Opposition from 2015 to 2020. Corbyn has been the Member of Parliament for Islington North since 1983. Ideologically, he identifies himself as a socialist. Born in Chippenham, Wiltshire, and raised in both Wiltshire and Shropshire, Corbyn joined Labour as a teenager. Moving to London, he became a trade union representative. In 1974 he was elected to Haringey Council and became Secretary of Hornsey Constituency Labour Party, until being elected as the MP for Islington North in 1983. His activism has included roles in Anti-Fascist Action, the Anti-Apartheid Movement and the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, and advocating for a united Ireland. As a backbench MP, he frequently voted against the Labour whip, including New Labour governments under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. A vocal opponent of the Iraq War, he chaired the Stop the War Coalition from 2011 to 2015.
|Born:||Jeremy Bernard Corbyn, May 26, 1949, Chippenham, Wiltshire, England|
|Other political affiliations:||Socialist Campaign Group (1983–2015, 2020–present)|
|Relatives:||Piers Corbyn (brother)|
|Residence:||Finsbury Park, North London|
|Education:||Castle House School, Adams' Grammar School|
|Alma mater:||North London Polytechnic (now London Metropolitan University)|
|Preceded by:||Harriet Harman|
|Succeeded by:||Keir Starmer|
|Twitter:||Jeremy Corbyn's Twitter profile|
|Instagram:||Jeremy Corbyn's Instagram profile|
|Facebook:||Jeremy Corbyn's Facebook profile|
|Youtube:||Jeremy Corbyn's Youtube channel|
About Jeremy Corbyn
Both the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of the Labour Party as of September of 2015, he is a self-proclaimed democratic socialist who has been recognized for his work as an international human rights campaigner.
He began his political career in 1974 when elected to the Haringey Council. He assumed office as a Member of Parliament for Islington North in June of 1983.
He stepped down as the Chair of Stop the War Coalition in September of 2015.
He was married to Jane Chapman from 1974 to 1979 and Claudia Bracchitta from 1987 to 1999, both ending in divorce. He later married Laura Alvarez in 2013. All three of his sons are from his 2nd marriage.
He served as Leader of the Opposition under British Prime Minister David Cameron.
Information related to Jeremy Corbyn
- Jeremy Corbyn Category
- Official Opposition frontbench - The frontbench of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition in the Parliament of the United Kingdom consists of the Shadow Cabinet and other official shadow ministers of the political party currently serving as the Official Opposition.
- Parliament of the United Kingdom relocation - Several parties have advocated the relocation of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from its current location at the Palace of Westminster, London, to the English Midlands or Northern England, for economic or other reasons.
- Gandhi International Peace Award Recipients
- English anti–Iraq War activists
- English anti–nuclear weapons activists
- Housing rights activists
- English anti-war activists
- Leaders of the Labour Party (UK)
- Leaders of the Opposition (United Kingdom)
- Anti–Vietnam War activists
- People educated at Adams' Grammar School
- Left-wing politics in the United Kingdom
- English human rights activists
- Alumni of the University of North London
- Amnesty International people
- English republicans
- People educated at Castle House School
- English environmentalists
- Anti-poverty advocates
- International opponents of apartheid in South Africa
- Critics of the European Union
- English feminists
- English socialists
- Male feminists
- English trade unionists
- UK MPs 1997–2001