Joseph Mercer OBE was an English football player and manager. Mercer, who played as a defender for Everton and Arsenal in his footballing career, also went on to be at the helm of Aston Villa, Manchester City and England as a manager.
About Joe Mercer
British horse racing jockey who had a career spanning nearly 40 years. His most successful horse was Brigadier Gerard.
He was apprentice to Frederick Sneyd.
His nickname was Smokin' Joe.
His older brother Manny was killed in a racing accident in 1959.
His longevity and success make him comparable to American jockey Willie Shoemaker.
Information related to Joe Mercer
- Royal Army Physical Training Corps soldiers
- Reading F.C. wartime guest players
- Chester City F.C. wartime guest players
- England national football team managers
- Aldershot F.C. wartime guest players
- Sheffield United F.C. managers
- Aston Villa F.C. managers
- Manchester City F.C. managers
- Ellesmere Port Town F.C. players
- Coventry City F.C. managers
- England wartime international footballers
- English Football Hall of Fame inductees
- Sportspeople from Cheshire
- English Football League representative players