Joseph Edward Duncan III is an American convicted serial killer and child molester who is on death row in federal prison in conjunction with the 2005 kidnappings and murders of members of the Groene family of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. He is also serving 11 consecutive sentences of life without parole in conjunction with the same crimes as well as the 1997 murder of Anthony Martinez of Beaumont, California. Additionally, Duncan has confessed to — but has not been charged with — the 1996 murder of two girls in Seattle. At the time of the attack on the Groene family, Duncan was on the run from a child molestation charge in Minnesota. He spotted Shasta and Dylan Groene playing outside as he drove past their house on Interstate 90. Born in Tacoma, Washington, Duncan's criminal history dates to when he was 15 years old. In 1980, he was sentenced to 20 years in prison for sexually assaulting a boy in Tacoma and as a result has spent all but six years of his adult life in prison.
About Joseph E. Duncan III
Serial killer sentenced to death for murdering four members of the Groene family, and 1-3 others.
His first recorded sex crime is when he raped a boy at gunpoint at age 15.
His connection to an earlier murder was found after he was arrested for the Groene murders, when bloggers noticed a resemblance between him and the composite sketch of the suspect in the earlier crime.
He did not marry before his conviction.
He committed his first rape at a young age, as did Ted Bundy.
Information related to Joseph E. Duncan III
- Kidnapping of Jayme Closs (2018), during which Jake Patterson confessed to murdering a family in order to kidnap the 13-year-old girl.
- Sarah Marie Johnson - The murder of Diane and Alan Scott Johnson occurred on September 2, 2003. They were shot to death in their Bellevue, Idaho, home by their 16-year-old daughter Sarah Marie Johnson.
- Prisoners sentenced to death by the United States federal government
- People extradited within the United States
- People with narcissistic personality disorder
- Prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment by California
- American kidnappers
- People convicted of murder by the United States federal government
- People with antisocial personality disorder
- People convicted of murder by California
- American prisoners sentenced to death
- American rapists
- 21st-century American criminals
- American murderers of children
- American prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment
- American serial killers
- 20th-century American criminals
- American sex offenders