The Fritzl case emerged in April 2008, when a woman named Elisabeth Fritzl told police in the town of Amstetten, Austria, that she had been held captive for 24 years by her father, Josef Fritzl. Fritzl had assaulted, sexually abused, and raped her numerous times during her imprisonment inside a concealed area in the basement of the family home. The abuse by Elisabeth's father resulted in the birth of seven children: three of them remained in captivity with their mother, one had died just days after birth at the hands of Josef Fritzl who disposed of his body in an incinerator, and the other three were brought up by Fritzl and his wife, Rosemarie, having been reported as foundlings.
|Born:||Josef Fritzl, April 9, 1935, Amstetten, Austria|
|Known for:||imprisoning and raping his daughter, Elisabeth|
|Criminal penalty:||Life imprisonment|
|Criminal status:||Incarcerated at Garsten Abbey|
About Joseph Fritzl
An Austrian criminal who's known for holding his daughter, Elisabeth, captive for over two decades and repeatedly raping her.
He was born in Austria to his single mother, Maria Fritzl.
He served eighteen months in jail for raping a woman in 1967.
He had seven children with his wife, Rosemarie Fritzl, and seven more children with his daughter, Elisabeth, whom he held hostage for twenty-four years.
He and rapist, Ariel Castro, both held women captive for years.
Information related to Fritzl case
- Alvarez case - The Alvarez incest case was uncovered late March 2009 when 59-year-old Arcedio Alvarez was arrested in Mariquita, Colombia, accused of imprisoning and sexually abusing his daughter Alba Nidia Alvarez over a period of 25 years, beginning from when she was 9 years old.
- Ariel Castro kidnappings - The Ariel Castro kidnappings took place between 2002 and 2004, when Ariel Castro kidnapped Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry, and Georgina "Gina" DeJesus and held them captive in his home in the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio, United States.
- Armando Lucero - Armando Lucero was an Argentine man arrested in 2009 on charges of raping one of his daughters over a period of 20 years. He was alleged to have fathered seven children with her, and also to have raped two of his other daughters.
- Inbreeding - Inbreeding is the production of offspring from the mating or breeding of individuals or organisms that are closely related genetically.
- Kidnapping of Jaycee Lee Dugard - The kidnapping of Jaycee Dugard occurred on June 10, 1991, in Meyers, California. Dugard was eleven years old when she was abducted from a street while walking to a school bus stop.
- Lydia Gouardo - Lydia Gouardo is a French woman, born in Maisons-Alfort, Val-de-Marne, who was imprisoned for 28 years, raped, and tortured by her stepfather, Raymond Gouardo, in their home in Meaux and Coulommes in Seine et Marne. The abuse took place from 1971 to 1999.
- Incestual abuse
- People convicted of incest
- Formerly missing people
- 2000s missing person cases
- Incidents of violence against women