Joseph Isaac Schooling is a Singaporean swimmer. He was the gold medalist in the 100m butterfly at the 2016 Olympics, gaining Singapore's first-ever Olympic medal in swimming. His winning time of 50.39 seconds is a National, Southeast Asian, Asian and Olympic record. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin, where he was a member of the Texas Longhorns swimming team, one of the top collegiate swim programmes under two-time United States Olympic men's head coach Eddie Reese. He first qualified for the Olympics in 2012 after winning the 200 m butterfly at the 2011 SEA Games.
|Instagram:||Joseph Schooling's Instagram profile|
About Joseph Schooling
Specializing as a butterfly, freestyle and individual medley swimmer, he became the first Singaporean athlete to ever win an Olympic gold medal after placing first in the 100 meter butterfly at the 2016 Olympics.
He just missed qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics at the 2011 Southeast Asian Games.
He became a national record holder after beating a 33 year old record in the 50m freestyle previously held by Singapore swimming legend Ang Peng Siong. He took home a silver medal for the 100m butterfly event at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games.
He is a third-generation Singaporean of Eurasian ethnicity born to parents May and Colin Schooling and raised as an only child.
He defeated his longtime idol, American swimmer Michael Phelps, in the 100 meter butterfly at the 2016 Olympics.
Information related to Joseph Schooling
- Commonwealth Games silver medallists for Singapore
- Asian Games gold medalists for Singapore
- Recipients of the Pingat Jasa Gemilang
- Olympic swimmers of Singapore
- Asian Games silver medalists for Singapore
- Singaporean male swimmers
- Texas Longhorns men's swimmers
- Asian Games bronze medalists for Singapore
- Swimmers at the 2014 Asian Games
- Swimmers at the 2014 Commonwealth Games
- Olympic gold medalists in swimming
- Asian Games medalists in swimming