Joyce Hilda Banda is a Malawian politician who was the President of Malawi from 7 April 2012 to 31 May 2014. She is the founder and leader of the People's Party, created in 2011. An educator and grassroots women's rights activist, she was Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2006 to 2009 and Vice-President of Malawi from May 2009 to April 2012.
|Born:||Joyce Hilda Ntila, Apr 12, 1950, Malemia, Nyasaland|
|Political party:||United Democratic Front, Democratic Progressive Party, People's Party|
|Spouse(s):||Roy Kachale, Richard Banda|
|Alma mater:||Columbus University, Atlantic International University, Royal Roads University|
|Vice President:||Khumbo Kachali|
|Preceded by:||Bingu wa Mutharika|
|Succeeded by:||Peter Mutharika|
|Twitter:||Joyce Banda's Twitter profile|
|Instagram:||Joyce Banda's Instagram profile|
|Facebook:||Joyce Banda's Facebook profile|
|IMDb:||Joyce Banda's IMDb|
About Joyce Banda
Politician and women's rights activist who became the first female President of Malawi in 2012. She founded the People's Party in 2011.
She was sworn in as president after the death of her predecessor Bingu wa Mutharika, and despite the best effort of the former president's close associates to install his brother at the top.
She was elected as the country's vice president in 2009 and she became one of the the president's most ardent critics, but he could not remove her from office.
Her sister was the CEO of the Raising Malawi Academy for Girls charity that was sponsored by Madonna.
Ellen Jonson Sirleaf, the president of Liberia, was the first female president in Africa, and worked together with Banda to help women on the continent.
Information related to Joyce Banda
- Malawian Constitutional Crisis 2012 - The 2012 Malawian constitutional crisis occurred from April 5, 2012 - April 7, 2012 after senior members of the Democratic Progressive Party-led cabinet failed to notify the public of the death of the sitting president, Bingu wa Mutharika on April 5.
- Foreign Ministers of Malawi
- United Democratic Front (Malawi) politicians
- Malawian women in politics
- People's Party (Malawi) politicians
- Presidents of Malawi
- Vice-Presidents of Malawi
- Democratic Progressive Party (Malawi) politicians
- Government ministers of Malawi
- Female heads of state
- Malawian feminists
- Female heads of government
- Female foreign ministers