Kailash Satyarthi is an Indian social reformer who campaigned against child labour in India and advocated the universal right to education. In 2014, he was the co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, along with Malala Yousafzai, "for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education." He is the founder of multiple social activist organizations, including Bachpan Bachao Andolan, Global March Against Child Labour, Global Campaign for Education and Kailash Satyarthi Children's Foundation. Kailash Satyarthi and his team at Bachpan Bachao Andolan have liberated more than 88,000 children in India from child labour, slavery and trafficking. In 1998, Satyarthi conceived and led the Global March against Child Labour, an 80,000 km-long march across 103 countries to put forth a global demand against worst forms of child labour. This became one of the largest social movements ever on behalf of exploited children.
|Born:||Kailash Sharma, January 11, 1954, Vidisha, Madhya Bharat, India (present-day Madhya Pradesh)|
|Alma mater:||Barkatullah University (B.E, M.E.)|
|Known for:||Activism for children's rights and children's education|
|Awards:||Nobel Peace Prize (2014), Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award (1995)|
|Twitter:||Kailash Satyarthi's Twitter profile|
|IMDb:||Kailash Satyarthi's IMDb|
About Kailash Satyarthi
Famous as the founder of the Bachpan Bachao Andolan (English translation: Save the Childhood Movement), this Nobel Peace Prize-winning activist fought to protect tens of thousands of children worldwide from being forced to labor for long hours under dangerous working conditions.
After earning an electrical engineering degree from India's Samrat Ashok Technological Institute, he pursued a career as a teacher. In the early 1980s, he began his activism work as a member of the Bonded Labor Liberation Front.
In the mid-1990s, he received the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award. He later established the Global Campaign for Education and served as the organization's first president.
A native of Vidisha, Madhya Pradesh, India, he later settled in New Delhi with his wife and two children.
He and Pakistani human rights activist Malala Yousafzai shared the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize.
Information related to Kailash Satyarthi
- Child labour - Child labour refers to the exploitation of children through any form of work that deprives children of their childhood, interferes with their ability to attend regular school, and is mentally, physically, socially or morally harmful.
- Iqbal Masih - Iqbal Masih was a Pakistani Christian boy who became a symbol of abusive child labour in the developing world.
- Ehsan Ullah Khan - Muhammad Ehsan Ullah Khan is the founder of the Bonded Labour Liberation Front of Pakistan, an organization that has freed more than 100,000 slaves in its country.
- Indian children's rights activists
- Ashoka USA Fellows
- Barkatullah University alumni
- Indian Nobel laureates
- 21st-century Indian engineers
- Indian electrical engineers
- Debt bondage in South Asia
- Nobel Peace Prize laureates
- 20th-century Indian engineers
- Indian academics