Petra Meier is a retired German track and field athlete who competed in the javelin throw. Representing East Germany, she became the Olympic Champion in 1988 and broke the world record four times between 1985 and 1988. She is the only woman to throw a javelin 80 metres or more, with her world record of 80.00 m. This throw was the world record from 1988 until 1999, when a new javelin design was implemented. She also won the javelin title at the 1989 IAAF World Cup and silver medals at the World Championships in 1987 and 1991.
|Sport:||Track and field|
|Club:||SC Motor Jena|
|Personal best(s):||WR 80.00 m (1988)|
About Petra Felke
Javelin thrower who won a gold medal at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul.
She was an active youth athlete.
She became the first woman to throw a javelin more than 80 meters.
She was born in Saalfeld, Thuringia, East Germany.
She won her Olympic gold when she finished just ahead of silver-medalist Fatima Whitbread.
Information related to Petra Felke
- German female javelin throwers
- East German female javelin throwers
- World Championships in Athletics athletes for East Germany
- World Championships in Athletics athletes for Germany
- Sportspeople from Thuringia
- Olympic athletes of East Germany
- Olympic gold medalists for East Germany
- Olympic athletes of Germany
- Olympic gold medalists in athletics (track and field)