Walter James Lewis AM is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, and coached in the 1980s and 1990s. He became a commentator for television coverage of the sport. A highly decorated Australian national captain, Lewis is widely regarded as one of the greatest ever players of rugby league. His time as a player and coach was followed by a career as a sports presenter for the Nine Network. Nicknamed The King and also The Emperor of Lang Park, Lewis represented Queensland in thirty-one State of Origin games from 1980 to 1991, and was captain for thirty of them. He also represented Australia in thirty-three international matches from 1981 to 1991 and was national team captain from 1984 to 1989. Lewis is perhaps best known for his State of Origin performances, spearheading Queensland's dominance in that competition throughout the 1980s. He captained at State of Origin level 30 times, winning a record 8 man of the match awards.
About Wally Lewis
Nicknamed "The King" and "The Emperor of Lang Park," he was a five-eighths and lock; inducted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame in 1999.
He played on junior Queensland school teams growing up.
He played on Australia's national rugby league team from 1981 to 1991.
He raised three children: Lincoln, Jamie-Lee, and Mitchell.
He played alongside winger Michael O'Connor on the Australian national team.
Information related to Wally Lewis
- Brisbane Broncos captains
- Queensland Rugby League State of Origin captains
- Brisbane rugby league team players
- Gold Coast Chargers coaches
- Queensland Rugby League State of Origin coaches
- Fortitude Valley Diehards players
- Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame inductees
- Australian rugby league commentators
- Wynnum Manly Seagulls players
- Australia national rugby league team captains
- Nine News presenters
- Rugby league players from Brisbane
- Gold Coast Chargers players
- People educated at Brisbane State High School
- People with epilepsy
- Sportsmen from Queensland
- Queensland Rugby League State of Origin players
- Brisbane Broncos players
- Sport Australia Hall of Fame inductees
- Australian rugby league coaches
- Sportspeople from Brisbane
- Recipients of the Australian Sports Medal
- Australia national rugby league team players