Eric J. LeGrand is a former American football defensive tackle who played college football at Rutgers. He became paralyzed while making a tackle in an October 2010 game, but has since regained movement in his shoulders and sensation throughout his body. As of 2020, LeGrand has been making constant recovery in the Kessler Institute of Rehabilitation. Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed him to a symbolic contract as an undrafted free agent in May 2012. In 2017, LeGrand was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame as the third recipient of the Warrior Award.
|Date of birth:||Sept 4, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Avenel, New Jersey|
|High school:||Colonia (NJ)|
|Twitter:||Eric LeGrand's Twitter profile|
About Eric LeGrand
Former defensive end for Rutgers whose career was ended by a spinal cord injury in 2010. He broke his C3 and C4 vertebrae while making a tackle, paralyzing him from the neck down. He's since become a motivational speaker as well a sports radio talk show host.
A standout in high school, he joined the Rutgers University football team in 2008. He started contributing as a true freshman and had already been a significant contributor by the time he took over a starting role as a junior.
At the time of his injury, he was told he would probably never be able to breathe on his own again. However, by the start of 2011, he was able to breathe without a ventilator. He's regained some movement in his shoulders as well as sensation throughout his body. He received the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance in 2012.
He's taken care of by his mother, Karen. He has a sister named Nicole.
His coach at Rutgers was Greg Schiano. After Schiano joined the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012, he signed LeGrand to an honorary free agent contract.
Information related to Eric LeGrand
- 2010 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team - The 2010 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team represented Rutgers University in the 2010 NCAA Division I FBS college football season. The Scarlet Knights were led by head coach Greg Schiano in his 10th season.
- Adam Taliaferro - Adam J. Taliaferro is an American politician in the state of New Jersey and a former American football player whose recovery from a paralyzing spinal cord injury sustained while playing cornerback for the Penn State Nittany Lions gained national media attention.
- Kevin Everett - Kevin Everett, is a former American football tight end who played for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Bills in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Miami after transferring from Kilgore College.
- Devon Walker - Devon Walker was playing college football at Tulane University when he was paralyzed during a college game. He signed with the New Orleans Saints in May 2014.
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights football players
- Players of American football from New Jersey