Sir Garfield St Aubrun Sobers, AO, OCC, also known as Gary or Garry Sobers, is a former cricketer who played for the West Indies between 1954 and 1974. A highly skilled bowler, an aggressive batsman and an excellent fielder, he is widely considered to be cricket's greatest ever all-rounder and one of the greatest cricketers of all time. Born in Bridgetown, Barbados, Sobers made his first-class debut for the Barbados cricket team at the age of 16 in 1953, and his Test debut for the West Indies the following year. Originally playing mainly as a bowler, he was soon promoted up the batting order. Against Pakistan in 1958, Sobers scored his maiden Test century, progressing to 365 not out and establishing a new record for the highest individual score in an innings. His record was not broken until Brian Lara scored 375 in 1994. Sobers was made captain of the West Indies in 1965, a role which he would hold until 1972.
|Full name||Garfield St Aubrun Sobers|
|Born||July 28, 1936, Bridgetown, Barbados|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.8 m)|
|Bowling style||Left-arm fast medium, Slow left-arm orthodox, Left-arm unorthodox spin|
One of cricket's greatest all-rounders, he scored over 8,000 Test runs and took 235 wickets, bowling both spin and seam. He averaged more than 57 with the bat and was the Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1964.
He made his first-class debut with the Barbados national team at the age of 16, and the following year played in his first Test match.
In 1968, he became the first player to hit six sixes in one over in first-class cricket. He captained West Indies in 39 Tests.
He was briefly engaged to Indian actress Anju Mahendru. He was married to Pru Kirby from 1969 to 1990. He has three children: Daniel, Genevieve and Matthew.
He was teammates with Clive Lloyd while playing for West Indies.
- Recipients of the Trinity Cross
- West Indian cricketers of 1945–46 to 1969–70
- Wisden Cricketers of the Century
- Nottinghamshire cricket captains
- West Indies Test cricket captains
- Cricket players and officials awarded knighthoods
- Wisden Leading Cricketers in the World
- Commonwealth XI cricketers
- International Cavaliers cricketers
- West Indies One Day International cricketers
- West Indies Test cricketers
- Barbados cricketers
- Barbadian cricketers
- Wisden Cricketers of the Year
- South Australia cricketers
- Nottinghamshire cricketers
Latest information about Garfield Sobers updated on May 07, 2021.