George Leonard Carey, Baron Carey of Clifton, is a retired Anglican bishop who was the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1991 to 2002, having previously been the Bishop of Bath and Wells. In 2018 the UK Child Sex Abuse Report found Carey had committed serious breaches of duty in covering up child sex abuse within the Church. In June 2017 he resigned from his last formal role in the church after a finding that he had covered up child sex abuse allegations against the bishop Peter Ball. During his time as archbishop the Church of England ordained its first women priests and the debate over attitudes to homosexuality became more prominent, especially at the 1998 Lambeth Conference of Anglican bishops. In February 2018 Carey was granted "permission to officiate" by Steven Croft, the bishop of Oxford, allowing him to preach and preside at churches in the diocese.
|Church:||Church of England|
|Province:||Province of Canterbury|
|Diocese:||Diocese of Canterbury, delegated to Bishop of Dover|
|Other posts:||Honorary assistant bishop in Swansea & Brecon (2004–?), in Southwark and in Bristol, in Oxford (?–2017), Life peer (2002), Primate of All England|
|Ordination:||1962 (deacon), 1963 (priest), by Robert Stopford|
|Consecration:||3 December 1987, by Robert Runcie|
|Birth name:||George Leonard Carey|
|Born:||November 13, 1935, London, England|
|Parents:||George and Ruby Carey|
|Children:||2 sons, 2 daughters|
|Previous post:||Bishop of Bath and Wells (1987–1991)|
|Alma mater:||King's College, London, Durham University, Official site Lords' homepage|
About George Carey
Archbishop of Canterbury who was the foremost religious figure of the Church of England from 1991 to 2002.
He dropped out of school at 15 to work as an office bay, then served in the Royal Air Force.
During my tenure as the head of Church of England I ordained the first female priest, and addressed the debate over homosexuality.
He raised two sons and two daughters. One of his sons became an ordained Anglican priest and and other served as the deputy editor of the Church of England Newspaper.
He supported the comments of Pope Benedict XVI, that Islam has cannot bring prosperity and progress to the Islamic states until it changes.
Information related to George Carey
- Simon Pegg - Simon John Pegg is an English actor, comedian, screenwriter, and producer. He came to public prominence in the UK as the co-creator of the Channel 4 sitcom Spaced, directed by Edgar Wright.
- Shinichiro Kurimoto - Shinichiro Kurimoto and is a Japanese author and a politician. He is also an economic anthropologist and a philosopher who introduced the ideas of Karl Polanyi and his younger brother Michael Polanyi to Japan. He was a professor at universities such as Meiji University and Northwestern University.
- Alumni of the London College of Divinity
- Alumni of Trinity College, Bristol
- Knights Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Francis I
- Bishops of Bath and Wells
- Ordained peers
- Recipients of the Royal Victorian Chain
- 21st-century Anglican archbishops
- Archbishops of Canterbury
- 20th-century Anglican archbishops
- Converts to Christianity
- Crossbench life peers
- Fellows of King's College London