Herbert Paul Brooks Jr. was an American ice hockey player and coach. His most notable achievement came in 1980 as head coach of the gold medal-winning U.S. Olympic team at Lake Placid. At the Games, Brooks' American team upset the heavily-favored Soviet team in a match that came to be known as the "Miracle on Ice." Brooks would go on to coach multiple National Hockey League teams, as well as the French team at the 1998 Winter Olympics. He ultimately returned to coach the U.S. men's team to a silver medal at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Brooks was killed in a 2003 car accident. At the time of his death, he was the director of player personnel for the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins.
|Born:||August 5, 1937, Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Died:||August 11, 2003, near Forest Lake, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Previous team(s):||New York Rangers, Minnesota North Stars, New Jersey Devils, Pittsburgh Penguins|
|Years as a coach:||1970–2002|
|Years as an NHL coach:||1981–2000|
About Herb Brooks
Coached the U.S. Olympic hockey team that defeated the Russians in the 'Miracle on Ice' at Lake Placid.
Herb Brooks Before Fame
He was the last cut on the 1960 Olympic hockey team.
Achievement of Herb Brooks
Before the Olympics, he coached the Minnesota Golden Gophers to three NCAA championships.
Herb Brooks Family Life
Married Patti Brooks in 1965 and had two kids.
Associations of Herb Brooks
Kurt Russell played him in the 2004 Disney movie "Miracle."
Information related to Herb Brooks
- Miracle on Ice - Miracle on Ice is a 1981 sports docudrama about the United States men's national ice hockey team, led by head coach Herb Brooks, that won the gold medal in the 1980 Winter Olympics. The USA team's victory over the heavily favored Soviet team in the medal round was dubbed the "Miracle on Ice".
- Miracle - Miracle is a 2004 American sports film about the United States men's ice hockey team, led by head coach Herb Brooks, portrayed by Kurt Russell, that won the gold medal in the 1980 Winter Olympics.
- United States men's national ice hockey team coaches
- Minnesota Golden Gophers men's ice hockey coaches
- Minnesota North Stars coaches
- Pittsburgh Penguins executives
- St. Cloud State Huskies men's ice hockey coaches
- Pittsburgh Penguins scouts
- Pittsburgh Penguins coaches
- New Jersey Devils coaches
- New York Rangers coaches
- Lester Patrick Trophy recipients
- United States Hockey Hall of Fame inductees
- Ice hockey players at the 1968 Winter Olympics
- Minnesota Golden Gophers men's ice hockey players
- Ice hockey players at the 1964 Winter Olympics
- American ice hockey coaches
- Sportspeople from Saint Paul, Minnesota
- Hockey Hall of Fame inductees
- National Hockey League broadcasters
- Ice hockey people from Minnesota