Dame Kelly Holmes is a retired British middle distance athlete. Holmes specialised in the 800 metres and 1,500 metres events and won a gold medal for both distances at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. She set British records in numerous events and still holds the records over the 600, 800 and 1,000 metre distances. Inspired by a number of successful British middle-distance runners in the early 1980s, Holmes began competing in middle-distance events in her youth. She joined the British Army, but continued to compete at the organisation's athletics events. She turned to the professional athletics circuit in 1993 and in 1994 she won the 1,500 m at the Commonwealth Games and took silver at the European Championships. She won a silver and a bronze medal at the 1995 Gothenburg World Championships, but suffered from various injuries over the following years, failing to gain a medal at her first Olympics in Atlanta 1996 when running with a stress fracture.
|Twitter:||Kelly Holmes's Twitter profile|
|Instagram:||Kelly Holmes's Instagram profile|
|Facebook:||Kelly Holmes's Facebook profile|
About Kelly Holmes
British middle-distance athlete who won two golds in the 2004 Olympics in Athens and a bronze medal in Sydney in 2000.
Kelly Holmes Before Fame
She joined the British Army when she turned 18.
Achievement of Kelly Holmes
She started as a full-time athlete in 1997, which started her training for the 2004 Olympics.
Kelly Holmes Family Life
She was born to Derrick Holmes and Pam Norman.
Associations of Kelly Holmes
She and sprinter Usain Bolt are both medaled Olympians.
Information related to Kelly Holmes
- Sporting dames
- Royal Army Physical Training Corps soldiers
- Women in the British Army
- BBC Sports Personality of the Year winners
- English female middle-distance runners
- Women's Royal Army Corps soldiers
- Adjutant General's Corps soldiers
- Laureus World Sports Awards winners
- English Olympic medallists
- Athletes (track and field) at the 1998 Commonwealth Games
- Athletes (track and field) at the 2002 Commonwealth Games
- Athletes (track and field) at the 1994 Commonwealth Games
- Olympic gold medallists for Great Britain
- Olympic bronze medallists for Great Britain
- Olympic gold medalists in athletics (track and field)
- Commonwealth Games gold medallists for England