Kermit Barron Gosnell is an American physician and former abortion provider who was convicted of murdering three infants who were born alive during attempted abortion procedures; he was also convicted of involuntary manslaughter of one woman during an abortion procedure. Gosnell owned and operated the Women's Medical Society clinic in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was a prolific prescriber of OxyContin. In 2011, Gosnell and various co-defendant employees were charged with eight counts of murder, 24 felony counts of performing illegal abortions beyond the state of Pennsylvania's 24-week time limit, and 227 misdemeanor counts of violating the 24-hour informed consent law. The murder charges related to an adult patient, Karnamaya Mongar, who died following an abortion procedure, and seven newborns said to have been killed by having their spinal cords severed with scissors after being born alive during attempted abortions.
|Born:||Kermit Barron Gosnell, February 09, 1941, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Criminal charge:||State charges (Pennsylvania): First-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter (7 counts total), Federal charges: Conspiracy to distribute controlled substances, distribution and aiding and abetting the distribution of oxycodone, and maintaining a place for the illegal distribution of controlled substances (12 counts total)|
|Criminal penalty:||Life without parole plus 30 years|
|Criminal status:||In custody at SCI Huntingdon|
About Kermit Gosnell
Physician charged with eight counts of murder due to gross medical malpractice.
He opened a halfway house for drug addicts in Philadelphia.
He was known for giving late-term abortions, and was convicted of killing seven newborns who were born alive during attempted abortions.
He married three times and fathered six kids.
He killed infants while working in the medical field, as did Genene Jones.
Information related to Kermit Gosnell
- Unsafe abortion - An unsafe abortion is the termination of a pregnancy by people lacking the necessary skills, or in an environment lacking minimal medical standards, or both. An unsafe abortion is a life-threatening procedure.
- Late termination of pregnancy - Late termination of pregnancy describes the termination of pregnancy by induced abortion during a late stage of gestation. "Late", in this context, is not precisely defined, and different medical publications use varying gestational age thresholds.
- History of abortion - The practice of abortion—the termination of a pregnancy—has been known since ancient history.
- Abortion debate - The abortion debate is the ongoing controversy surrounding the moral, legal, and religious status of induced abortion. The sides involved in the debate are the self-described "pro-choice" and "pro-life" movements. "Pro-choice" emphasizes the right of women to decide whether to terminate a pregnancy.
- Minors and abortion - Many jurisdictions have laws applying to minors and abortion. These parental involvement laws require that one or more parents consent or be informed before their minor daughter may legally have an abortion.
- Abortion-related violence - Anti-abortion violence is violence committed against individuals and organizations that provide abortion.
- Medical practitioners convicted of murdering their patients
- Prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment by Pennsylvania
- Criminals of Philadelphia
- Criminals from Pennsylvania
- American abortion providers
- People convicted of murder by Pennsylvania
- Forced abortion
- Thomas Jefferson University alumni
- American people convicted of manslaughter
- Physicians from Philadelphia
- Dickinson College alumni
- African-American physicians
- 21st-century American criminals
- American murderers of children
- American prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment
- American serial killers
- 20th-century American criminals