Sir David Frederick Attenborough is an English broadcaster and natural historian. He is best known for writing and presenting, in conjunction with the BBC Natural History Unit, the nine natural history documentary series forming the Life collection that together constitute a comprehensive survey of animal and plant life on Earth. He is a former senior manager at the BBC, having served as controller of BBC Two and director of programming for BBC Television in the 1960s and 1970s. He is the only person to have won BAFTAs for programmes in each of black and white, colour, HD, 3D and 4K. In 2018 and 2019, he received Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Narrator. Attenborough is widely considered a national treasure in the UK, although he himself does not like the term.
|Born:||David Frederick Attenborough, May 8, 1926, Isleworth, Middlesex, England|
|Alma mater:||University of Cambridge (BA)|
|Occupation:||Broadcaster, naturalist, Presenter|
|Title:||Controller of BBC2 (1965–1969), President of the Royal Society for Nature Conservation (1991–1996)|
|Relatives:||Richard Attenborough (brother), John Attenborough (brother), Michael Attenborough (nephew), Charlotte Attenborough (niece)|
|Awards:||Cherry Kearton Medal and Award (1972), BAFTA Fellowship (1980), Kalinga Prize (1981), Kew International Medal (1996), International Cosmos Prize (2000), RSPB Medal (2000), Michael Faraday Prize (2003), José Vasconcelos World Award of Education (2004), Descartes Prize (2004), Nierenberg Prize (2005), Princess of Asturias Award (2009), Fonseca Prize (2010)|
|Twitter:||David Attenborough's Twitter profile|
|Youtube:||David Attenborough's Youtube channel|
|IMDb:||David Attenborough's IMDb|
About David Attenborough
Legendary naturalist and nature documentary producer who created the documentaries Planet Earth and The Life of Birds, among many others.
He was an avid collector of fossils, stones, and other natural specimens as a child.
In 2005, he was awarded the Order of Merit (OM) by Queen Elizabeth.
He married Jane Elizabeth Ebsworth Oriel in 1950 and together they had two children before she passed away in 1997.
His brother Richard is an actor and played a character similar to him in Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park.
Information related to David Attenborough
- David Attenborough Category
- BBC Two controllers
- People associated with the University of Leicester
- Kalinga Prize recipients
- International Emmy Founders Award winners
- British Book Award winners
- English broadcasters
- English conservationists
- Fellows of the Royal Society (Statute 12)
- English nature writers
- People educated at Wyggeston Grammar School for Boys
- English environmentalists
- Presidents of the British Science Association
- Fellows of the Royal Society of Biology
- BAFTA fellows
- Critics of creationism
- Social commentators
- English agnostics
- Fellows of the Zoological Society of London
- Cultural critics
- Members of the Order of Merit
- British social commentators
- English television personalities
- Social critics
- Members of the Order of the Companions of Honour
- English autobiographers
- Fellows of the Australian Academy of Science
- Fellows of the Linnean Society of London
- Fellows of the Royal Society of Arts
- Commanders of the Royal Victorian Order
- Alumni of Clare College, Cambridge
- Primetime Emmy Award winners