Geoffrey Hughes DL was an English actor. Hughes provided the voice of Paul McCartney in the animated film Yellow Submarine, and rose to fame for portraying much-loved bin man Eddie Yeats in the long-running British soap opera Coronation Street from 1974 to 1983, making a return to the show in 1987. He is best known, however, for playing loveable slob Onslow in the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances and later appeared in the sitcom The Royle Family, playing the part of 'Twiggy', reprising his role for the specials in 2006 and 2008. From 2001 to 2005 he played Vernon Scripps, conman and loveable rogue, in the ITV police drama Heartbeat, taking over as the show's main loveable rogue from Bill Maynard's Claude Greengrass, and returning to the show briefly in 2007 after the character was thought dead. Hughes was diagnosed with prostate cancer in the 1990s, and in 2010 he suffered a cancer relapse which led him to retire from acting. He died from the illness, aged 68, in 2012.
|Born:||February 2, 1944, Wallasey, Cheshire, England|
|Died:||July 27, 2012, Isle of Wight, England|
|Spouse(s):||Susan Hughes (–2012, his death)|
|IMDb:||Geoffrey Hughes's IMDb|
About Geoffrey Hughes
English actor best known and loved for his role as Eddie Yeats in the British soap opera, Coronation Street.
He grew up in Liverpool and started acting in Stroke-on-Trent at the Victoria Theatre.
He was appointed Deputy Lord Lieutenant in 2010 after moving to Isle of Wight.
He was married to Susan Hughes at the time of his death in 2012.
He starred alongside Rachel Roberts in his first musical, Maggie May.
Information related to Geoffrey Hughes
- Rex Harrison - Sir Reginald Carey Harrison, known as Rex Harrison, was an English actor of stage and screen. Harrison began his career on the stage in 1924. He made his West End debut in 1936 appearing in the Terence Rattigan play French Without Tears, in what was his breakthrough role.
- Deputy Lieutenants of the Isle of Wight
- Male actors from Liverpool
- English male soap opera actors
- English male voice actors
- Cancer survivors