About George II
From 1727 until his death in 1760, this German-born royal served as King of Great Britain, Prince-elector of the Holy Roman Empire, and Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg.
The son of Sophia Dorothea of Celle and Prince George Louis of Brunswick-Luneburg (the future King George I of Great Britain), he spent his youth in Hanover, Germany, and spoke French as his first language and German as his second language. He later learned both English and Italian.
He fought in the War of the Austrian Succession's 1743 Battle of Dettingen.
His marriage to Caroline of Ansbach produced surviving children named Frederick, Prince of Wales; Anne, Princess Royal; Princess Amelia, Princess Caroline; Prince William, Duke of Cumberland; Princess Mary; and Princess Louisa.
He was succeeded as King of Great Britain by his grandchild George III.
Information related to George II
- George II of Great Britain George II was King of Great Britain and Ireland, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg and Prince-elector of...
- George II of Greece George II reigned as King of Greece from 1922 to 1924 and from 1935 to 1947.
- George Tupou II of Tonga The King of Tonga from 18 February 1893 until his death.
- George II of Antioch George II of Antioch was Eastern Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch in the 7th century.
- George II of Armenia The Catholicos of the Armenian Apostolic Church between 877 and 897.
- George II of Abkhazia George II was King of the Abkhazians from 916 AD until 960 AD. His lengthy reign is regarded as a...
- Patriarch George II of Alexandria George II served as Greek Patriarch of Alexandria between 1021 and 1051.
- George II of Georgia A king of Georgia from 1072 to 1089.
- George II of Constantinople The Patriarch of Constantinople between 1191 and 1198 AD. According to Balsamon, George, during...
- Yuri II of Vladimir The fourth Grand Prince of Vladimir who presided over Vladimir-Suzdal at the time of the Mongol...
- George II of Bulgaria George Terter II reigned as emperor of Bulgaria between 1322 and 1323.
- George II Ghisi A Latin feudal lord in medieval Greece, lord of Tinos and Mykonos and Triarch of Negroponte.
- George II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau A German prince of the House of Ascania and ruler of the principality of Anhalt-Dessau.
- George II of Kakheti A king of Kakheti in eastern Georgia from 1511 to 1513.
- George II, Duke of Münsterberg-Oels A Duke of Münsterberg 1536-1542 and Duke of Oels. He also held the title of a Count of Glatz.
- George II of Brieg A Duke of Brzeg from 1547 until his death.
- George II of Imereti A king of Imereti from 1565 to 1585.
- George II, Duke of Pomerania A non-reigning duke of Pomerania.
- George II, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt The Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt from 1626 - 1661.
- George II Rákóczi A Hungarian nobleman, Prince of Transylvania, the eldest son of George I and Zsuzsanna Lorántffy.
- George II Beseb'ely The 56th Maronite Patriarch of Antioch from 1657 to his death in 1670.
- George II, Duke of Württemberg-Montbéliard Duke George II of Württemberg-Montbéliard was Duke of Württemberg-Montbéliard from 1662 until his...
- George II Frederic A King of the Miskito, born 1757 or 1758, and who ruled from 1776–1801.
- George II, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont George II, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont was Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont from 1813 to 1845.