Joseph Anthony Fiorenza is an American prelate of the Catholic Church. He was the seventh Bishop and the first Archbishop of Galveston-Houston, serving from 1985 to 2006. He previously served as Bishop of San Angelo from 1979 to 1984.
|Appointed:||December 6, 1984|
|Installed:||February 18, 1985|
|Term ended:||February 26, 2006|
|Predecessor:||John Louis Morkovsky|
|Ordination:||May 29, 1954, by Wendelin Joseph Nold|
|Consecration:||October 25, 1979, by Patrick Flores, John Louis Morkovsky, and John E. McCarthy|
|Born:||January 25, 1931, Beaumont, Texas|
|Previous post:||Bishop of San Angelo (1979–1984)|
|Motto:||Thy kingdom come|
About Joseph Fiorenza
American prelate of the Catholic Church who served as the first Archbishop of Galveston-Houston from 1985 to 2006.
He was both captain of the football team and senior class president in high school.
He was known for stonewalling investigations into sexual abuse allegations against the Church.
He has three brothers.
He was appointed the fourth Bishop of San Angelo by Pope John Paul II in 1979.
Information related to Joseph Fiorenza
- Catholic Church hierarchy - The hierarchy of the Catholic Church consists of its bishops, priests, and deacons. In the ecclesiological sense of the term, "hierarchy" strictly means the "holy ordering" of the Church, the Body of Christ, so to respect the diversity of gifts and ministries necessary for genuine unity.
- Catholic Church in the United States - The Catholic Church in the United States is composed of ecclesiastical communities in full communion with the Holy See.
- Historical list of the Catholic bishops of the United States - The number references the sequence of consecration. "Diocese" refers to the diocese over which the bishop presided or, if he did not preside, the diocese in which he served as coadjutor bishop or auxiliary bishop.
- Lists of patriarchs, archbishops, and bishops - This is a directory of patriarchs, archbishops, and bishops across various Christian denominations. To find an individual who was a bishop, see the most relevant article linked below or :Category:Bishops.
- Christianity in Houston - Christianity is the most prevalently practiced religion in the city of Houston, Texas. In 2012 Kate Shellnutt of the Houston Chronicle described Houston as a "heavily Christian city". Multiple Christian denominations originating from various countries are practiced in the city.
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston–Houston
- Religious leaders from Texas
- American Roman Catholic archbishops