Richard Milhous Nixon was the 37th president of the United States, serving from 1969 to 1974. A member of the Republican Party, Nixon previously served as the 36th vice president from 1953 to 1961, having risen to national prominence as a representative and senator from California. After five years in the White House that saw the conclusion to the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War, détente with the Soviet Union and China, and the establishment of the Environmental Protection Agency, he became the only president to resign from the office, following the Watergate scandal. Nixon was born into a poor family of Quakers in a small town in Southern California. He graduated from Duke University School of Law in 1937 and returned to California to practice law. He and his wife Pat moved to Washington in 1942 to work for the federal government. He served on active duty in the Navy Reserve during World War II. He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1946.
|Born:||Richard Milhous Nixon, January 9, 1913, Yorba Linda, California, U.S.|
|Died:||April 22, 1994, New York City, U.S.|
|Resting place:||Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum|
|Parents:||Francis A. Nixon, Hannah Milhous|
|Education:||Whittier College (BA), Duke University (JD)|
|Vice President:||Spiro Agnew (1969–1973), None (Oct–Dec 1973), Gerald Ford (1973–1974)|
|Preceded by:||Lyndon B. Johnson|
|Succeeded by:||Gerald Ford|
|IMDb:||Richard Nixon's IMDb|
|Rotten Tomatoes:||Richard Nixon's Rotten Tomatoes|
|iTunes:||Richard Nixon's iTunes|
About Richard Nixon
The 37th President of the United States who became the first US president to resign from office, relinquishing the position in the aftermath of the 1974 Watergate Scandal.
Richard Nixon Before Fame
He gained national recognition after the House Un-American Activities Committee, of which he was a member, successfully proved that Alger Hiss was a Communist spy.
Achievement of Richard Nixon
His many accomplishments, especially in the area of foreign policy, included bringing an end to the Vietnam War, improving relations with the Soviet Union, and becoming the first president to visit the People's Republic of China. He posthumously gained the appreciation of progressives for his many liberal domestic policies.
Richard Nixon Family Life
He was married to Pat Ryan from 1940 to 1993. They had two daughters, Tricia and Julie, together.
Associations of Richard Nixon
He and Bill Clinton forged a close bond during Clinton's first term, to the surprise of many, and Clinton was said to be devastated by Nixon's passing.
Information related to Richard Nixon
- Richard Nixon Category
- Cultural depictions of Richard Nixon - Richard Nixon, the 37th President of the United States, has inspired or been portrayed in numerous cultural works.
- Electoral history of Richard Nixon - Electoral history of Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States, 36th Vice President of the United States; United States Senator and United States Representative from California.
- Nixon (film) - Nixon is a 1995 American epic historical drama film directed by Oliver Stone, produced by Clayton Townsend, Stone, and Andrew G. Vajna.
- Lawyers disbarred in the Watergate scandal
- Nixon family
- Republican Party Vice Presidents of the United States
- Eisenhower administration cabinet members
- Nixon administration personnel involved in the Watergate scandal
- Republican Party Presidents of the United States
- People of the Yom Kippur War
- Whittier Poets football players
- People of the Laotian Civil War
- Republican Party (United States) vice presidential nominees
- Republican Party (United States) presidential nominees
- 1970s in the United States
- 20th-century Quakers
- Vice Presidents of the United States
- Presidents of the United States
- 1960s in the United States
- American people of the Vietnam War
- People of the Cold War
- Duke University School of Law alumni
- Recipients of American presidential pardons
- Military personnel from California
- Members of the United States House of Representatives from California
- American Quakers
- California lawyers