Nouhad Wadie' Haddad, known as Fairuz, also spelled Fairouz, Feyrouz or Fayrouz, is a Lebanese singer. She is considered an influential singer in the Arab world. Her songs are broadcast frequently in her own region, and she has sold over 150 million records worldwide, making her and Umm Kulthum the two best-selling Middle-Eastern artists of all time. She was first noticed at the International Festival of Baalbeck, where she performed many of her songs. She became famous after appearing on the "Lebanese Nights" part of the festival for many successive years. Fairuz is commonly known as "Ambassador to the Stars", "Ambassador of the Arabs" after the title of one of her albums, "the Moon's Neighbour" for her song about the moon of Machgara, and the "Jewel of Lebanon".
|Birth name:||نهاد وديع حداد, Nouhad Haddad|
|Born:||November 20, 1934, Zuqaq al-Blat, Beirut, State of Greater Lebanon|
|Genres:||Arabic music, Lebanese music|
|Labels:||EMI, Virgin, Voix de l'Orient, Fayrouz Productions|
|Associated acts:||Nasri Shamseddine, Wadih el Safi|
|Twitter:||Fairuz's Twitter profile|
Lebanese singer best known by her stage name Fairuz. She is one of the world's most acclaimed Arabic performers. Her numerous albums include Albaalbakiya (1961), Reminiscing with Fairuz (1971), Maarifti Feek (1984), and Eh Fi Amal (2010).
She was born Nouhad Wadi Haddad. She began her rise to fame in the late 1950s, after performing at Lebanon's Baalbeck International Festival.
Shy by nature and prone to stage fright, she developed a trademark still, bowed performance style.
She married Assi Rahbani in 1955. They had four children named Ziad, Rima, Layal, and Hali before Rahbani's death in 1986.
She collaborated with composer and producer brothers Mansour Rahbani (her brother-in-law) and Assi Rahbani (her husband) on nearly twenty musical theater works.
Information related to Fairuz
- Rahbani brothers - The Rahbani Brothers, Assi Rahbani, and Mansour Rahbani were Lebanese composers, musicians, songwriters, authors, playwrights/dramatists. They are best known for their work with Lebanese singer Fairuz. Their younger brother Elias Rahbani is also famous lyricist and composer.
- Ziad Rahbani - Ziad Rahbani is a Lebanese composer, pianist, playwright, and political commentator. He is the son of Fairouz, Lebanon's and arguably the Arab world's most famous singer and Assi Rahbani, one of the founders of modern Arab music.
- Wadih El Safi - Wadih El Safi was a Lebanese singer, songwriter, composer and actor. He was a Lebanese icon and the forefather of the country's musical culture, he was the longest singer in production, seventy five years in the singing profession. He was the number one singer of his era.
- Recipients of the Order of Merit (Lebanon)
- Converts to Eastern Orthodoxy from Catholicism
- Former Maronite Christians
- Recipients of the National Order of the Cedar
- Singers who perform in Classical Arabic
- Middle Eastern Christians
- Eastern Orthodox Christians from Lebanon
- Lebanese female singers
- EMI Classics and Virgin Classics artists
- EMI Records artists
- Virgin Records artists