Joseph Michael Hilbe was an American statistician and philosopher, founding President of the International Astrostatistics Association and one of the most prolific authors of books on statistical modeling in the early twenty-first century. Hilbe was an elected Fellow of the American Statistical Association as well as an elected member of the International Statistical Institute, for which he founded the ISI astrostatistics committee in 2009. Hilbe was also a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society and Full Member of the American Astronomical Society. Hilbe made a number of contributions to the fields of count response models and logistic regression. Among his most influential books are two editions of Negative Binomial Regression, Modeling Count Data, and Logistic Regression Models. Modeling Count Data won the 2015 PROSE honorable mention award for books in mathematics as the second best mathematics book published in 2014.
|Born:||December 30, 1944, Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Died:||March 12, 2017|
|Fields:||statistician and mathematician|
|Institutions:||University of Hawaii, Arizona State University, Jet Propulsion Laboratory|
|Known for:||negative binomial regression, logistic regression, astrostatistics|
|Notable awards:||Fellow, American Statistical Association, Elected Member, International Statistical Institute (ISI)|
About Joseph Hilbe
Wrote many influential works in the area of statistical modeling. He was the founding President of the International Astrostatistics Association.
He earned a degree in philosophy from California State University, Chico. He was an assistant to a professor who was one of the founders of the Vienna Circle.
He was also a track and field athlete who won two national championships.
He married Cheryl Swisher in 1984.
He earned his doctorate from UCLA, where David Lewis was a philosophy professor.
Information related to Joseph Hilbe
- Stata - Stata is a general-purpose statistical software package created in 1985 by StataCorp. Most of its users work in research, especially in the fields of economics, sociology, political science, biomedicine, and epidemiology.
- Statistics - Statistics is the discipline that concerns the collection, organization, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data. In applying statistics to a scientific, industrial, or social problem, it is conventional to begin with a statistical population or a statistical model to be studied.
- International Astrostatistics Association - The International Astrostatistics Association is a non-profit professional organization for astrostatisticians.
- The American Statistician - The American Statistician is a quarterly peer-reviewed scientific journal covering statistics published by Taylor & Francis on behalf of the American Statistical Association. It was established in 1947 and the editor-in-chief is Daniel R. Jeske.
- American Statistical Association - The American Statistical Association is the main professional organization for statisticians and related professionals in the United States.
- Royal Statistical Society - The Royal Statistical Society is one of the established statistical societies. It has three main goals. The RSS is a British learned society for statistics, a professional body for statisticians, and a charity which promotes statistics for the public good.
- Paradise, California
- California State University, Chico alumni
- Elected Members of the International Statistical Institute
- University of Hawaii faculty
- University of Hawaii alumni
- American statisticians
- 21st-century mathematicians
- Fellows of the American Statistical Association