Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao, popularly known as NTR, was an Indian actor, producer, director, film editor and politician who served as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh for seven years over three terms. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest actors of Indian cinema and one of the two legends of Telugu cinema, along with Akkineni Nageswara Rao. NTR received three National Film Awards for co-producing Thodu Dongalu and Seetharama Kalyanam under National Art Theater, Madras, and for directing Varakatnam. NTR has received the erstwhile Rashtrapati Awards for his performance in the Raju Peda and the Lava Kusa. He garnered the Nandi Award for Best Actor for Kodalu Diddina Kapuram in 1970, and the Inaugural Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu in 1972 for Badi Panthulu. NTR made his debut as an actor in a Telugu social film Mana Desam, directed by L. V. Prasad in 1949.
|Born||May 28, 1923, Nimmakuru, Madras Presidency, British India, (now in Andhra Pradesh, India)|
|Died||January 18, 1996, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, (now in Telangana)|
|Cause of death||Cardiac arrest|
|Political party||Telugu Desam Party, (1982–1996)|
|Other political affiliations||National Front (1989–1996)|
|Children||12, including Harikrishna, Balakrishna, Purandeswari|
|Alma mater||Andhra-Christian College|
|IMDb||NT Rama Rao's IMDb|
This politician and Chief Minister of the Indian State of Andhra Pradesh also had a highly successful career as a movie actor, producer, and director, earning Filmfare Awards for his roles in Raju Peda and Badi Panthulu and National Film Awards for his directing work on Varakatnam.
He began his screen acting career by playing a small role in the 1949 film Mana Desam.
In the early 1980s, he established an Indian political party called the Telugu Desam Party (TDP).
His two marriages -- to Basavatarakam and fellow politician Lakshmi Parvathi -- produced a total of twelve children.
His grandson, Nandamuri Kalyan Ram, also had a successful career as a screen actor.
- Government of Andhra Pradesh - Government of Andhra Pradesh is the government for the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is an elected government with 175 MLAs elected to the Legislative Assembly of Andhra Pradesh for a 5-year term.
- Elections in Andhra Pradesh - Elections in Andhra Pradesh state, India are conducted in accordance with the Constitution of India.
- Politics of Andhra Pradesh - The Politics of Andhra Pradesh take place in the context of a bicameral parliamentary system within the Constitutional framework of India. The main parties in the state are the YSR Congress party, Telugu Desam Party and Jana Sena Party.
- Telugu Desam Party
- Chief Ministers of Andhra Pradesh
- Recipients of the Rashtrapati Award
- 20th-century Indian people
- Leaders of the Opposition in the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- V. P. Singh administration
- Indian socialists
- Indian actor-politicians
- Andhra University alumni
- Telugu Desam Party politicians
- Telugu male actors
- Telugu film directors
- Filmfare Awards South winners
- Recipients of the Padma Shri in arts
Latest information about NT Rama Rao updated on June 14 2021.