Ryan David Leaf is a former American football player who was a quarterback in the National Football League for four seasons. He played for the San Diego Chargers and the Dallas Cowboys between 1998 and 2001, and also spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Seattle Seahawks. Leaf had a successful college career for the Washington State Cougars of Washington State University, where he was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy after his junior year. He was selected as the second overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft after Peyton Manning, but his career was shortened due to poor play, bad behavior, injuries, and struggles with his work ethic and ability to stay focused. An episode of NFL Top 10 ranked him as the No. 1 "draft bust" in NFL history. After his NFL career ended, Leaf completed his degree at Washington State. He had legal troubles involving drugs beginning in 2010 after a Texas judge sentenced him to 10 years probation.
|Date of birth||May 15, 1976|
|Place of birth||Great Falls, Montana|
|High school||Charles M. Russell (Great Falls, Montana)|
|NFL Draft||1998 / Round: 1/ Pick: 2|
Former NFL quarterback who became one of the biggest busts in NFL history after being drafted second overall by the San Diego Chargers in 1998.
He was a 1998 Heisman Trophy finalist and Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year while playing for Washington State University.
His NFL career spanned from 1998 to 2002 as he threw only 14 touchdowns compared with 36 interceptions.
He grew up with a brother, Brady; he married and eventually divorced a former NFL cheerleader.
He was pursued by Jerry Jones and signed to the Dallas Cowboys in 2001.
- Sportspeople from Great Falls, Montana
- Businesspeople from Montana
- West Texas A&M Buffaloes football coaches
- Businesspeople from British Columbia
- Criminals from Montana
- Players of American football from Montana
- American people convicted of burglary
- American sportspeople convicted of crimes
- American people convicted of drug offenses
- Washington State Cougars football players
- American expatriates in Canada
- American fraudsters
- 21st-century American criminals
- American male criminals
- American prisoners and detainees
Latest information about Ryan Leaf updated on May 10 2021.