Stephen Joshua Sondheim is an American composer and lyricist known for his work in musical theater. As one of the most important figures in 20th century musical theater, Sondheim is hailed for "reinventing American opera" with programs that deal with "unexpected themes far beyond traditional themes." [Genre] of "genre" with "unprecedented complexity and sophistication in music and lyrics. His shows were praised for their mention of "darker and more boring elements of the human experience", with songs often tinged with "the ambient air" about different aspects of life. His most famous works as a songwriter and lyricist include A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Company, Follies, A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Sunday in the Park with George and Into the Wood. He is also known as the lyricist of West Side Story and Gypsy.
|Stephen Sondheim's Facebook|
|IMDb||Stephen Sondheim's IMDb|
Legendary musical theatre composer and lyricist. He is best known for works such as "West Side Story," "Gypsy," "Into the Woods," and "Sweeney Todd."
He was mentored by lyricist and playwright Oscar Hammerstein II, who told him his first effort 'By George' was terrible. He then proceeded to train him in every area of structuring and writing musicals.
He detested filmed musicals, even though many of his productions were made into movies. He preferred instead "Citizen Kane," "The Grapes of Wrath," and other classic dramas.
He was born into financial privilege, but emotional isolation. He has been in a relationship with his partner Jeff Romley.
He wrote five songs for 1990's Dicky Tracy, including "Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)" by Madonna, which won the Academy Award for Best Song.
- Category Stephen Sondheim
- Beta Theta Pi
- New York Military Academy alumni
- Crossword compiler
- Fellow of St Catherine's University, Oxford
- Cultural Ethics Fieldston School Alumni
- Classical LGBT musicians
- Puzzle designers
- The Pulitzer Prize for a Drama Prize Winner
- Recipient Praemium Imperiale
- The musician won the Academy's best original song award
- Jewish American composers
- American musical theater lyrical
- Honorary Fellow of the Royal Academy of Music
- Kennedy Center Laureates
- American opera composer
- American Jewish musician
- Recipient of the United States National Medal of the Arts
- Members of the American Academy of Arts and Literature
- Winner of the Ivor Novello Award
- Laurence Olivier Prize winner
- Edgar Prize winners
- Drama Desk, winner of the award
- The recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
Latest information about Stephen Sondheim updated on June 14 2021.