Marshall Bruce Mathers III, known professionally as Eminem, is an American rapper, songwriter, and record producer. Credited for popularizing hip hop to Middle America, Eminem's global success and acclaimed works is widely recognized for breaking racial barriers for the acceptance of white rappers in popular music. While much of his transgressive work during the early 2000s made him hugely controversial, he became a leading figure for representation of American underclass and reflected the angst of the millennials. He has been influential for many artists of various genres. After his debut album Infinite and the extended play Slim Shady EP, Eminem signed with Dr. Dre's Aftermath Entertainment and subsequently achieved mainstream popularity in 1999 with The Slim Shady LP. His next two releases The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show were worldwide successes and were both nominated for the Grammy Award for Album of the Year.
|Born:||Marshall Bruce Mathers III, October 17, 1972, St. Joseph, Missouri, U.S.|
|Other names:||Double M, M&M, Slim Shady|
|Occupation:||Rapper, record producer, record executive, songwriter, film producer, actor|
|Home town:||Detroit, Michigan, U.S.|
|Twitter:||Eminem's Twitter profile|
|Instagram:||Eminem's Instagram profile|
|Facebook:||Eminem's Facebook profile|
|Youtube:||Eminem's Youtube channel|
Born Marshall Mathers, he became an international sensation after the release of his first single, "My Name Is." He won the Best Rap Album Grammy for three consecutive albums: The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show. He also received the Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Lose Yourself," from the 2002 film 8 Mile, which he also starred in.
He aspired to become a comic book artist until his uncle, Ronald Polkinghorn, introduced him to Ice-T's song "Reckless."
He caused waves when he performed his song "Stan" with Elton John at the 43rd Grammy Awards ceremony in 2001 and many saw it as a response to critics who had called his lyrics homophobic.
He was married to Kimberly Anne Scott from June 14, 1999 until their divorce on October 11, 2001. They remarried on January 14, 2006, but divorced again later that year. He has three daughters named Hailie, Whitney and Alaina.
He and Dr. Dre collaborated on many songs together including the 1999 song "Forgot About Dre."
Information related to Eminem
- Eminem Category
- Honorific nicknames in popular music - Honorific nicknames in popular music are terms used, most often in the media or by fans, to indicate the significance of an artist, and are often religious, familial, or royal and aristocratic titles, used metaphorically.
- Global Recording Artist of the Year - The Global Recording Artist of the Year is an award presented by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry to honor the most popular recording artist based on a total of album-equivalent units, which include music downloads, streaming and physical format sales.
- Shady Records artists
- Aftermath Entertainment artists
- Echo (music award) winners
- Rappers from Detroit
- Horrorcore artists
- Hardcore hip hop artists
- American music publishers (people)
- Best Original Song Academy Award-winning songwriters
- American radio producers
- American media executives
- World Music Awards winners
- Midwest hip hop musicians
- Songwriters from Michigan
- Brit Award winners
- People with bipolar disorder
- American hip hop singers
- American autobiographers
- Obscenity controversies in music
- American male rappers
- American music industry executives