George "Gigi" Becali is a Romanian businessman and politician, mostly known for his ownership of the FCSB football club. He was a Member of the European Parliament between June 2009 and December 2012, and a Member of the Romanian Parliament from December 2012 up until his conviction in May 2013.
|Born:||George Becali, June 25, 1958, Vădeni, Brăila County, Romanian People's Republic|
|Alma mater:||Universitatea Ecologică din București|
About Gigi Becali
Romanian political figure and Member of both the Romanian and European Parliaments. Also a businessman, he purchased the Romanian Steaua București Football (soccer) Club.
He was given a three-year prison sentence for his role in a late 1990s, politically corrupt land-swapping deal.
He was the New Generation – Christian Democrat Party candidate for the 2004 Romanian presidential election; he finished in the race with just over one percent of the total votes.
Following their 1994 wedding, he and Luminita Becali welcomed three daughters: Teodora, Alexandra, and Cristina.
He and fellow Romanian politician Ramona Manescu both became Members of the European Parliament.
Information related to Gigi Becali
- Romanian politicians convicted of corruption
- Greater Romania Party MEPs
- FC Steaua București presidents
- Candidates for President of Romania
- Romanian philanthropists
- Leaders of political parties in Romania
- Romanian nationalists
- Romanian football chairmen and investors
- New Generation Party politicians
- Eastern Orthodox Christians from Romania
- Members of the Romanian Orthodox Church