Stavros Spyrou Niarchos is a billionaire shipping tycoon from Greece. Since 1952, he has built the world's largest surface ships for his fleet. Driven by both the Suez crisis and growing oil demand, he and his rival Aristotle Onassis have become giants in the global oil transport industry. Niarchos is also a well-known purebred breeder and horse racer, multiple times the first and number one owner on the French breed list.
|Born||Stavros Spyrou Niarchos, July 3, 1909, Vamvakou, Greece|
|Died||April 16, 1996, Zürich, Switzerland|
|Alma mater||University of Athens|
|Children||Maria Niarchos, Philip Niarchos, Spyros Niarchos, Konstantin Niarchos, Elena Ford|
Multi-billionaire shipping tycoon who constructed the world's largest oil supertanker in 1952.
He and his uncle formed a trade fleet that was partially destroyed while he was serving as a naval officer during World War II.
He and shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis were bitter rivals during their careers.
He was married five times and fathered two daughters and three sons.
He and Pamela Churchill, Winston Churchill's ex-daughter-in-law, carried on an affair during his third marriage.
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation - The Stavros Niarchos Foundation was established in 1996 to honor Greek shipping magnate Stavros Niarchos. Funding ultimately came from fossil fuels, as Niarchos was one of the largest oil and oil carriers in the world and had the largest tanker fleet at the time.
- Greek art collectors
- Greek expatriates in Switzerland
- Greek billionaires
- Livanos family
- The Niarchos family
- Arc de Triomphe winners' owners
- The recipient of the Order of the Phoenix (Greece)
- Greek businessman in the shipping industry
- Greek racehorse owner and breeder
- Alumni of the National University and Kapodistrian of Athens
Latest information about Stavros Niarchos updated on June 07 2021.